Sunday, February 20

Long Vowel & Syllable Sort

Hey Y’all! 

Can you say 3 day weekend?!?!?! I sure can, and believe me, I’ve been saying it ALL WEEK. After all, three pajama days in a row is incredible and, on top of that, the new season of the Amazing Race premieres tonight after evening church. I cannot wait!!!!!

But, until then I need to study for my ESOL certification test. Booooo, right?  
Have any of you amazing teachers gotten your ESOL endorsement? I think the test is going to be a bit of a doosy, so if you have any advice, I'd love to hear it!!!! In the meantime, I'll try and get my study on..... <grimace>

Alrighty, so you wanna see something I was doing when I should have been studying yesterday?  (In addition to eating way too much and watching Star Trek, of course). I made this little workshop activity.  You can use this sort two different ways: to practice long vowel spellings of E, I, and O; or, to sort syllables. I personally plan on giving only one sort to my low kiddos (they'll practice whichever skill they're weaker on), while I'll expect my higher kiddos to complete both sorts.  Can you tell that I  differentiation? There's a recording sheet to go with both sorts. ENJOY!    

Have a FABULOUS Sunday!
Mrs. Thiessen


 My Old McDonald Vowel and Syllable Sort
(Click any of the picture previews to download the entire document)


  
  
 My Old McDonald Vowel and Syllable Sort Recording Sheets
(Click the picture preview to download the entire document)
 

15 comments:

Ms. Morgart said...

I have the ESOL endorsement. You are going to do great!! Just remember to look at all the answers objectively. Someone once told me to consider each scenario as though it were in a perfect, utopic situation. Hope this helps :)

http://curlsandasmile.blogspot.com/

Jenn Bates said...

I love these! Thanks for sharing.
Jenn
http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

I have my ESOL endorsement too! I thought the hardest part of the test was the listening part where you have to listen to the speakers of other languages speak English and diagnose their problems. If you have the practice study book, the questions are JUST like that. The test was very respresentative of the classes. I don't know where you live, but in Ohio, you only have to get 50% of the test correct to pass...that helped me relax too! You'll do great!

Paige said...

Thanks again for another great resource! Good luck on your test! You'll do great!

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

Thanks for sharing! You have such good ideas.

www.oceansoffirstgradefun.blogspot.com

absees123s said...

I have my endorsement (PK-12) and took the test what seems like a million years ago..what can I say..I'm 51, lol. Just take your time, read each question/problem carefully and you'll do great! We had to take it, as we had 16 different languages spoken at my school in Houston. Now that I live in East TN, not quite as many, but still the need for it. Let us know how you do! ANd thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this precious activity!

Ms.M said...

I have my endorsement but I'm not mch help because my endorsement was part of my degree. I'm sorry. I suppose I would go with the " look at each question objectively". I always remember that more often than not your first instinct is correct. The more you mull over an answer the muddier the senario gets.

Good luck and thanks for the fantastic sort.

Ms. M
www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

Mrs. Zima said...

You will do great on your test. Thank you for a great sorting activity. My kidos will really enjoy it! Where do you get such fantastic clip art?

Ms.G

Ms. A said...

This is adorable! I can't wait to use it in my classroom! :)

www.peaceloveandfirst.blogspot.com

Ladybug said...

I just LOVE your blog! I am so glad I found it! You have some awesome ideas. Thank you for sharing them with all of us! :)

Elise said...

I have just come over from ABC 123 and am so happy that I did. Your blog is full of creative, fun learning ideas. I am your newest follower.

Alexandra Thiessen said...

Hey Y'all!

Glad you like the activity and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the ESL test advice. You have no idea how much fretting I've done over that little exam, and your advice put my mind more at ease.

Happy Monday!
Alexandra :)

Sharon said...

This is just adorable.Thanks for sharing!

Thomas Family said...

I love the farm clip art. Where did you get it? Thanks Robin

Alexandra Thiessen said...

Hey Robin!

I got the clip art at www.ScrappinDoodles.com

CUTEST WEBSITE EVER. You''ll love them!

Have a super night!
Alexandra :)